5 tips for storing your adhesive tapes
26 September 2018
Understanding adhesive tapes
Before getting to the tips for storage, let’s have a closer look at adhesive tapes to understand them better. Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tape is a major category of adhesive tapes and is a relatively thin flexible material with single or double sided coating. There are two forces at play in adhesive bonding: adhesion and cohesion – each also, at the molecular level.
Chemical materials like rubber, acrylic or silicon used in the adhesive can have their bonds broken down by 4 simple factors:
- Applied Pressure
Now let’s move on to the tips for storing your adhesive tapes considering the factors above.
Our best tape storage tips
The first step is to always follow the recommended storage condition from the manufacturer. Proper storage not only extends the shelf life of your tape, but ensures its effectiveness and saves you money in the long run.
So how can you keep your tape inventory fresh and optimal as the first day you bought it?
- Store your tapes somewhere away from the sunlight, particularly near windows. Ultraviolet light can even penetrate the packaging with time.
- Store your tapes in a cool place; the cooler the better, preferably 25°C or cooler. (The ideal place would to be in an air conditioned room)
- Also, make sure to keep it dry. Even the presence of moisture in the air can contribute to a chemical reaction. Keep your tape inventory away from damp places.
- Have a system for cycling your tapes. You should store your inventory in such a way that you are able to keep track of when each lot was delivered, so that you can always use the oldest tape first. For example, the first in, first out (FIFO) storage method.
- Find out from your supplier what a safe height would be to stack the cases of tape and the skids on top of one another. Certain tapes can be crushed and badly damaged when the boxes are overloaded. Ideally, the storage should be on racks and take up just one skid.
With these storage tips, you will now be able to pay attention to the variables that will maintain your adhesive tapes quality and ensure it is always ready to use for your job applications. To know what applications is best suitable for our main product the Panther Gaffer Tape, check out our previous blog post here.